FEATURES OF C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE:
C language is one of the powerful language. Below are some of the features of C language.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness
USES OF C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE:
The C programming language is used for developing system applications that forms a major portion of operating systems such as Windows, UNIX and Linux. Below are some examples of C being used.
- Database systems
- Graphics packages
- Word processors
- Operating system development
- Compilers and Assemblers
- Network drivers
WHICH LEVEL IS C LANGUAGE BELONGING TO?
There are 3 levels of programming languages. They are,
- Middle Level languages:
Middle level languages don’t provide all the built-in functions found in high level languages, but provides all building blocks that we need to produce the result we want. Examples: C, C++
- High Level languages:
High level languages provide almost everything that the programmer might need to do as already built into the language. Example: Java, Python
- Low Level languages:
Low level languages provides nothing other than access to the machines basic instruction set. Example: Assembler
C LANGUAGE IS A STRUCTURED LANGUAGE:
Structure oriented language:
- In this type of language, large programs are divided into small programs called functions
- Prime focus is on functions and procedures that operate on the data
- Data moves freely around the systems from one function to another
- Program structure follows “Top Down Approach”
- Examples: C, Pascal, ALGOL and Modula-2
Object oriented language:
- In this type of language, programs are divided into objects
- Prime focus is in the data that is being operated and not on the functions or procedures
- Data is hidden and cannot be accessed by external functions
- Program structure follows “Bottom UP Approach”
- Examples: C++, JAVA and C# (C sharp)
Non structure oriented language:
- There is no specific structure for programming this language. Examples: BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER IN C LANGUAGE:
- The C language is a structure oriented programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie.
- The C language is belonging to middle level programming language.
- Operating system programs such as Windows, Unix, Linux are written in C language.
- C89/C90 and C99 are two standardized editions of C language.
- C has been written in assembly language.